Soda Bread RecipeMike Griffin
A recipe from the Dunany Flour website
To make 1 500g (1lb) loaf you will need.
- 275g (10oz) wholemeal flour
- 80g (3oz) strong white flour
- 1 teaspoon bread soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- Half a teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 280ml (Half pint) buttermilk
- 50g (2oz) mixed seeds. Optional. E.g. linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
Pre heat the oven to Gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C) A well greased 500g (1lb) loaf tin
- Measure the dry ingredients into a large bowl, then beat the egg and buttermilk together and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix together well until you have a dropping consistency. Transfer the dough into the tin and gently level the top. Sprinkle with healthy seeds of your choice and bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes.
- After a few minutes, turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- This loaf will keep well in a bread bin for 2 – 3 days but it’s best eaten on the day it’s made.
I’ve been making this bread for a few months now, since we bought a bag of the flour from Green Earth Organics. Since we finished the bag, I’ve had to look up the recipe each time, and I’m always worried that it won’t be there when I go to look for it!
This loaf has been a great hit with everyone, we tend to go through most of the loaf along with some home made soup each time it’s around.
An to top it off, the smell reminds me of my Granny’s house where whe made two loaves every morning and brown scones as well every weekend.